My Blog = My Life + weekend

NEWS: Cathedral Village bits and bites

Two things of importance to report today. Actually, make that three.

1.) I am still on a carbohydrate high from all the perogies, rice, noodles, pasta, and dessert consumed during Mosaic this weekend. Hope that everyone indulged just as much as I did at this great annual event that showcases just how diverse our city is.

2.) A few weeks ago I posted a review of The Mercury Cafe. Since that time, a number of people have posted comments about the place. Last week, one reader alleged that the Mercury's burgers were not homemade, contrary to what it says on the Mercury's menu. Here's what she wrote:

Anonymous said...

I was expecting a homemade hamburger when the menu stated all burgers were homemade. To my surprise (and disappointment), I watched the cook take a box of burgers out of the freezer and place them on the grill... there was nothing homemade about them. I will admit they were good burgers for storebought box burgers but definitely not homemade. :(
May 26, 2010 9:37 PM



I was a bit shocked by this. I really believed the burger I ate was homemade -- both the look and taste of the burger did not seem like they came from Safeway across the street. Then again, you never really know unless you're in the kitchen standing next to the chef.
Today, I posted two more comments on this topic, presumably from employees at the Mercury. They said:

Anonymous said...

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. The burgers are 100% home made and not store bought - NOR FROZEN. Not sure what you were smoking that day but you were hallucinating. If you are interested in our process of making the burgers talk to the owner next time you are in and he will be happy to show you.
June 4, 2010 9:59 AM

Dave said...

Don't post lies. All the burgers are home made!!! Have a look next time you are in.
June 5, 2010 6:39 PM

I have to say, I'm willing to give Anonymous and Dave the benefit of the doubt. With that, I think this matter is settled. The Mercury's burgers are homemade. And they're good, too.
3.) The former Cafe Orange on Robinson Street has reinvented itself as Orange Izakaya (izakaya is Japanese for pub). While the doors have reopened, the place is back to serving coffee for the next couple of weeks until the new menu and lounge atmosphere are fully ready. Early reports are good.
This from my frien d LRadd on Twitter: " Cafe Orange has been majorly sexified -can't wait for the bar to open. For now having a coffee on the patio. If ur in the 'hood stop by."
And with that I'm off to enjoy this awesome sunny Sunday. Happy eating.

bar food, cafe, Cathedral Village, dessert, FOOD, happy, homemade, Japanese, Mercury Cafe, village, and more:

Relevant to: NEWS: Cathedral Village bits and bites + weekend