My Blog = My Life + vegetables

Boerenkool met Worst

If you're Dutch, you probably started salivating when you read the title. If you're not... well, allow me to let you in on the best kept secret!

Boerenkool met Worst is one of my very favorite meals. It kind of runs in the family; my Dad wanted this dish to be served at their wedding! I've made it twice in the past three weeks. It's a Dutch winter comfort food and I've been craving it since the temperature outside dropped below freezing. It's also extremely healthy (minus the sausage), and very frugal.

Most people have their own version of how to make this dish, but it's more or less the same. I make mine the way my mom does (except I didn't have a garden this year, so I have to buy my kale instead. It's still delicious!). We've never written out the recipe for it until now. It's one of those dishes that gets passed on from generation to generation by word of mouth. But if you're not Dutch and happened to miss out, here's a good place to get started!

You'll need:

-2-3 lbs of potatoes (I use yellow flesh)
-3 cups of finely chopped kale (I use HAK canned kale, strained)
-2 Tablespoons butter
-milk
-salt
-pepper

-Rookworst (Smoked Sausage)
-water for simmering

Peel potatoes. Cut them in half and place them with the boerenkool (if you're using frozen kale; otherwise, add the canned kale after the potatoes have been cooked and drained) in a large pot. Cover with water and add a little salt. Bring to a boil and cook everything for about 25-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, allow sausage to simmer in a smaller saucepan.
Add the milk (1/2 cup) and a spoon of butter, mash boerenkool and potatoes until all vegetables are mixed. Add more butter, milk, salt, pepper, and vinegar as needed.
Serve with the rookworst.

Tips: if you don't grow your own kale, this is a great brand to use:

You can buy it at Dutch specialty shops for $3-$4 a jar. We can get 2-3 meals out of it.

Country Meat Packaging Sausage is by far the best sausage to compliment the boerenkool-it's just not the same without it! You can find more information about it and where to purchase it {here}.

My Opa and Oma always preferred this dish with gravy. I like adding some of the "sausage water" during the mashing process instead.

Enjoy!

art, butter, favorite, FOOD, health, HOME, milk, recipes, tips, and more:

Relevant to: Boerenkool met Worst + vegetables