My Blog = My Life + whole food

Real Good Chili (GF)

I made this chili the other day and it turned out to be a real winner! Originally, I was planning to use my Mom's recipe; I've always enjoyed her concoction. But alas, "a little bit of this and a little bit of that" recipes are difficult to duplicate. I scoured the Internet for something that sounded remotely similar and ended up combining two or three recipes that were guaranteed to take the blue ribbon. And please the judges (Brad and Charity) it did! I'm quite certain this will be a staple in our house over the cooler months. Best of all, it's gluten-free!
Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1 pkg. Taco Seasoning (I make my own)
  • 3 Tbsp chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups peeled, diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (15 ounce) red kidney beans
  • 1 cup spaghetti sauce (homemade is best, but store-bought will do)
  • 1 cup salsa (homemade is best)

Directions:

  1. In a large saucepan or stockpot, cook ground beef, onion, and red pepper until meat is browned.
  2. Stir in Taco Seasoning, chili powder, and garlic. Fry together.
  3. Add remaining ingredients. Lower heat and simmer for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
Does your family like chili? Do you have a "secret" ingredient? Have you ever participated in a chili cook-off? What's your best chili memory?

art, HOME, recipes, tomato, and more:

Relevant to: Real Good Chili (GF) + whole food