My Blog = My Life + salad

How to Boil a Perfect Egg

It took a few years of being surprised each time I peeled off the shell before I finally thought to ask Brad's Mom, a master with food, how to guarantee a perfectly boiled egg each time.

When I used my own method, soft-boiled eggs would turn out runny, and hard-boiled eggs resulted in an ugly gray film around the yolks. Now, they turn out perfect every time! Here's my mother-in-law's secret:
For soft-boiled eggs (pictured above): Add eggs (don't use fresh ones as they're harder to peel) to a saucepan and cover with cold water. Dribble in a little vinegar and a dash of salt. Bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Turn the burner off and cover the pan with a lid. Set the timer for 6 minutes. Immediately immerse eggs in cold water to stop the cooking process. Peel, slice, and enjoy!
For hard-boiled eggs: Repeat the same steps above, only increasing the cooking time to 8 minutes instead of six.
My lunch above consists of a whole grain pita, old cheddar, mayo, organic salad greens, and a boiled egg seasoned with freshly ground pepper and sea salt. So easy, so yummy!

cooking, FOOD, fresh, HOME, organic, recipes, and more:

Relevant to: How to Boil a Perfect Egg + salad