My Blog = My Life + village

My Flea Market Treasures Pour La Semaine

I don't do a lot of things well that so many bloggers do, like tablescaping or vignetting or refinishing furniture or taking marvelous pictures.
But there's one thing I love more than almost anything and I do it (if not well) at least consistently... and that's hunting for bargain treasures! There's nothing like the thrill of finding something wonderful on the cheap! And I realize that this is completely subjective. One persons "cheap" is another person "holy cow are they smoking crack"...
But here are a few of my most recent (To me) bargains. All were found last week with the exception of two... But I really wanted to brag about ummm share with you my latest finds.
I think this might be one of my most exciting finds. (Seen below) I was reading on another blog about how desirable the book "I Married Adventure" By Osa Johnson is with the decorating community. Not because of it's wonderful story but because if its zebra striped cover. Well... I walked into a local antiques store and stumbled across a copy for $14.99 with 20% off. So for about $12 I have myself a hot decorator book Yippee skippy!! This baby can go upwards of $60 on ebay. The two other books below I found for 27 cents for the pair. And they have such nifty covers! So 1950's glam (which is when they were both published)

Isn't she pretty cool?

Anyone who knows me would understand why I found this one irresistible! Paris... King... Mais oui!! *winks*

And I found this lovely robe at our local Value Village for $1.99! Upon first glance the pattern looked very Ralph Lauren to me? Turned out it wasn't, but still very pretty for the price.

Closeup

And this life size souvenir hand was also at the same Value Village. I've never seen anything quite like it before, but I've been very entranced by hands lately, so it caught my eye. It's made out of some kind of old plaster/resin type stuff meant to look like old ivory. I liked its patina and its reminder of my trips to Pisa. $7.99.

This hat found the previous week was a little more than $20 but I fell in love with its beautiful feather and tattered appliques with old metal thread. Does anyone know what type of feather this is? I think it's from the 20's or 30's. (You can click to enlarge)

Isn't this feather beautiful?

This is a piece from the base of the worlds ugliest lamp (Really no kidding, it was BADDDDD) The lamp had no electrical so I pointed that out to the manager at the VV and asked if I could get a better price? She gave it to me for 99 cents. I love to use the decorative bases of ugly lamps as display risers for different pieces. Do you ever do that? This one worked great for my little french spelter girl!

But these were my Pièces de résistance!! I found this set of crystal sconces a little while ago at a local antique store. I kept coming back to them. This happened at least four times! I finally figured there must be something about them... my little antiquin' sixth sense was whispering to me. And I've learned (The hard way) that it's better to listen to that little voice, so for $110 I took them home.
I was looking on 1st Dibbs to see if they had anything like them? Well they did and didn't... Turns out they're late 19th early 20th century Swedish. I found the perfect matching chandelier there and it was 4.5K!! Now I realize the prices at 1st Dibbs can be fierce but I think I SCORED!! Big-o-time.
So here below are my two sconces. Sorry I couldn't photograph them together. They're on different sides of a large bookcase and no matter how hard I tried with my poor little camera I couldn't fit them both in. So this really doesn't do them justice.

This is the large bookcase... It was a craigslist find.

This is the matching 1st dibbs chandelier. It's the perfect match to my sconces. Same fretwork, same candle holders, same crystals. Isn't it purty?!

Well that's my finds for this week. I'll have some more to show you next week! I'd love to see your treasures too! Happy Bargain Hunting!! Vanna
I'm hooking up with my dear friend Laurie at Bargain Hunting and Chatting With Laurie for:

And with my new friend Dawn from Bohemian Valhalla She is a new blogger and has a wonderful perspective and artists eye!
As well as Linda at A La Carte for:

art, book, happy, Inspiration, life, LOVE, pie, and more:

Relevant to: My Flea Market Treasures Pour La Semaine + village