My Blog = My Life + weekend

Flea Market Finds Pour La Semaine Vingt-Neuf

It's time once again for (what passes for... *winks*)
FLEA MARKET FINDS!!! of the week Can I get a WHOOP WHOOP!!?? How bout a YEE HAW!!?? OK too much?... Yeah I thought so too... Sorry...
I'm just so excited about my finds! You see I've wanted this special something something ever since I started seeing beautiful statuary pieces like it around the blogosphere. So I was cruising craigslist (as usual) and there it was! Just waiting for ME!! A HUGE (well at least to me, she's 5' tall) nude maiden *sighs dreamily* Can you say *swoon-o-licious*!!

I'm not certain where she'll end up living? I've... Ahem... actually the hubby has been dragging her around the house... which by the way is no easy task because she weighs 200 lbs! But anyhoo this is where she resides for now. There's still some lichen in the cracks to remove but it's LOVE for me!! 100 well spent dollars! The guy who sold her to me said they'd found her burried in the bushes in their backyard and his wife didn't want it around. When I told him I would be putting her in my livingroom, he thought I was nuts! Lol!

Isn't she fab!?

My second favorite find was this AMAZING 1930's french doll by Bernard Ravca 15" tall. This is in likeness of the 1930's movie star Alice Faye.

Have you ever heard of her? I hadn't (Finally something before my time! *winks*) but back in the 30's she was one of Hollywood's top movie stars. I spotted the doll on ebay and instantly fell in love with her!

She still sports her original tag which is actually signed by Bernard Ravca.
About Ravca: Bernard Ravca was a French artisan, who crafted many different costume and character dolls from many different materials, including crepe paper, papier maché, felt, clay and combinations of materials. The needled stockinette faces are perhaps the best known of his dolls, on which detailed and realistic expressions are sculpted onto the stockinette by means of tightly pulled stitching. His dolls were made in France from about 1924 to 1939. In 1939, he came to New York City and continued to make dolls to great acclaim. The most frequently found Ravca dolls are small, 7.5" -10", but he made dolls of many various sizes, including life-sized children and adult characters.

The Ravca dolls were sometimes signed in ink on their bodies and others on their tags. Some pre-1939 dolls had paper tags, imprinted "Original Ravca Fabrication Francaise" or woven labels designating "MADE IN FRANCE". There have been many Ravca-type dolls made over the years, so without signature or tags, it is almost impossible to verify an original Ravca, unless it can be favorably compared to a documented Ravca original.

Her signed tag.

Who could resist that big goofy grin? *winks* Not me that's for sure!

Dolls turned out to be my theme for the week.
I found this little shell art piece at the Goodwill for 99 cents and I added this little Italian doll bust from ebay to it... Now she's living a shell-tered life! Lol!

Now on this next one I don't want to creep you out... but I went to a car show with the hubbs this weekend and found this 1960's Suzie-kins styling mannequin for $10. I've been having a blast trying on different hats and styling her real hair. I purchased her at the beginning of the show and carried her through the ENTIRE show which was a huge conversation starter! I heard "Are you a head hunter?" And "What did she say to make you THAT angry?" Message to self... If you want people to chat you up... carry a mannequin head around with you! *winks*

This little boudoir doll box was an ebay find. She's a little LOT rough around the edges but still very charming don'tcha think? These are very hard to find in any shape so she's a keeper for me.

The wig is a replacement.

The interior.

I found this alter style candlestick lamp at the Goodwill. I love the huge metal moroccan looking plull! And the basket was also a $4.99 Goodwill find. The birdcage and Victorian beaded needlepoint picture of Saint Peter came from a local estate sale.

Cool pull huh?

The cage is an antique brass Hendryx. It'll be going to my etsy for anyone who might be interested.

This antique beaded needlepoint picture reminded me of something my friend Richard would have in his Old Historic House. *winks*

It's hard to see but his entire robe is made up of different colored glass beads. His hands and feet are done in micro petit point. Some poor victorian lady spent a good long time on this one! I'm thinking it would make a beautiful pillow?

This 1920's tin (with handle) of Christopher Columbus and Queen Isabella (?) was a $1.99 Goodwill find.

And last but not least I'd like to introduce you to "Sandi" She's named in honor of my new friend Sandi from the wonderful blog A Cottage Muse who's just about as crazy for boudoir dolls as I am! You can see hers HERE. I begged her to name one of hers Vanna! So maybe you could stop by and tell her you think so too? *wink wink nudge nudge*

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Next week I'll be forgoing the flea markets finds to share with you... An Evening In Paris (my Paris garret livingroom) I hope you'll come back for a visit. And please leave me a comment and I'll do the same for you *winks* As always I LOVE to hear from you! Vanna
I'm joining my friend Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for:

And Kathleen at Charm Bracelet Diva for:

Ann at On Sutton Place for:

Courtney at French Country Cottage for:

And Cindy at My Romantic Home for:

And Honey at 2805 for:

art, favorite, Inspiration, life, LOVE, pie, and more:

Relevant to: Flea Market Finds Pour La Semaine Vingt-Neuf + weekend