My Blog = My Life + tips

9 Ways To Increase Your Breast-Milk Supply

Many mothers who are determined to breast-feed their babies, including myself, often worry needlessly about whether or not they have enough milk to grow their babies. Assuming you and your child have no major medical concerns, let me reassure you: You are well-equipped by God Himself to feed your nursling! I am not a lactation consultant or medical expert; just a mom who's enjoyed breast-feeding two of our children exclusively for most of their first year and am currently nursing our preemie.
Genetically speaking, we are not a large family. My pre-pregnancy weight is 120 lbs. and my husband has a slim (and handsome ;-) build, but as babies, our kids are chunky-monkeys! We're often asked where they get their rolls from - it's from Mama's milk, the benefits of which scientists haven't even fully researched yet!

Charity at 8 weeks Our first-born never dropped more than 2 ounces from her birth weight. She was all chubb until she started walking and slimmed down.

Judah at 8 weeks Our second was 17lbs at 4 months old - more than twice his birth weight.

When our Anna-Grace was born, the nurses at the hospital tried to convince us she needed formula because she was premature. I have no medical expertise but I knew they were wrong. I wanted to breast-feed my baby and believe God equipped me to do so. We fought long and hard for the right to nurse her, and eventually we won. As soon as I put her to the breast, she started gaining weight rapidly - 4 ounces during her last night at the hospital where she roomed in with me for the first time, and another 6 ounces within the first two days of coming home.

Here are some things I do to ensure a good milk supply for our babes:

Fenugreek (available through The Bulk Herb Store and Mountain Rose Herbs). Immediately after giving birth, I start taking Fenugreek: 3 capsules, 3 times a day with meals for the first week post-partum. By then I usually have too much milk and cut back to 3 capsules a day for the rest of my nursing duration. Blessed Thistle (available through The Bulk Herb Store and Mountain Rose Herbs). Blessed Thistle can be added to Fenugreek to further increase your milk supply. 6-12 capsules a day is adequate, but be sure to spread them out rather than taking them all at once. You can also drink this as a tea. Drink, drink, drink! It's so important to stay hydrated when you're nursing! I drink 500ml of water at each feed. No caffeine. Try to stay away from liquids that dehydrate like sodas, coffee, and some teas. Pump. I only pumped for our preemie because it was absolutely necessary (she wasn't allowed any oral feedings for the first few days of her life), but it worked splendidly! By the time she was 10 days old, she was solely breast-feeding and I haven't pumped again.

Use an electric pump an do both breasts at the same time, every 3-4 hours beginning soon after your child is born. Don't be discouraged if there's nothing collectible for the first few days. By the third or fourth day you'll be producing more milk than your baby will be able to consume in one feeding! A good latch. If your baby doesn't seem to be getting enough, more than likely the problem is in the latch. Wait for a wide open mouth, tongue down, before bringing your baby to the breast rather than your breast to the baby. It shouldn't hurt at all. A steady swallowing sound is a good indicator they're feeding properly. Rest. As a mom of three, aged 3 and under, I know this is easier said than done. Perhaps relax is a better word. The less stressed you are, the more milk you'll produce. Nursing while lying down is a good way to catch some shut-eye.A good diet with plenty of EFA's.I've found that incorporating DHA and EFA oils into my morning smoothie not only give me more energy to breast-feed, but the fat in my breast milk is higher too. Drain one breast completely before offering the other. Not only is it important for your baby to get your hind-milk (the stuff that fattens them up!), but draining one side completely helps keep mastitis at bay and regulates your supply.The best way to tell if your baby is gaining getting enough milk is by the amount of dirty diapers they produce and a steady weight gain.

Have you breast-fed your babies? What kind of tips do you have for mothers who'd like to do the same?

Linking to: Mind Body Sole, Raising Homemakers, Deep Roots At Home, Frugally Sustainable, Natural Living,Modest Monday, A Mama's Story, Raising Arrows, Homestead Revival

art, healthy living, HOME, life, milk, natural remedies, and more:

Relevant to: 9 Ways To Increase Your Breast-Milk Supply + tips