My Blog = My Life + organic

Gardener's Hand Cream Recipe

I dislike wearing gloves when I garden. I prefer to feel the earth crumble in my hands and get soil underneath my fingernails. There's something utterly organic and romantic about having gardener's hands. But only while I'm gardening. When I'm done, I like nothing more then to freshen up and scrub every last particle of dirt away.

Of course, these actions are harsh on the skin and my hands end up requiring a little TLC. This hand cream recipe is hands down (pun intended) the most healing of all salves I've tried. Made with pure coconut oil, beeswax, lavender infused almond oil, a few essential oil drops, and enriched with Vitamin E, this balm is a treat for your hands. A few applications will have them soft and satiny in no time. A little goes a long way. This recipe will make a year's supply.

You'll need:

  • 4 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 4 tablespoons grated beeswax
  • 8 tablespoons almond oil (I used lavender infused almond oil - recipe here)
  • 4 capsules Vitamin E oil
  • 25 drops lavender essential oil
  • 10 drops tea tree oil
  • 6 drops spearmint oil

Directions:
1. Add all ingredients except the essential oils into a glass measuring cup. Set measuring cup inside a larger bowl and pour boiling water between the dishes and stir until everything melts together. You may need to replace the boiling water a couple of times.
2. After the beeswax has melted completely, remove the measuring cup from the hot water and add the essential oils to your hand cream mixture.

3. Pour into an air-tight container and cool to harden. Refrigerate cream to speed up the process. I used an old Brie cheese tin to store mine:

Apply as needed to rough, dry, itchy, or sunburned skin. I also use it on my feet, rubbing it into my heals to keep them soft.
If you love this hand cream, you may enjoy making your this lip balm too.

art, coconut, cream, fresh, gardening, healthy living, HOME, natural remedies, non-toxic solutions, and more:

Relevant to: Gardener's Hand Cream Recipe + organic