My Blog = My Life + LOVE

A Walk Around The Hood 2012 Part One

This week I'm taking a break from my regular flea market finds post to take you along on a walk through one of my local neighborhoods. I took an earlier tour through a more modest neighborhood HERE if you'd like to visit.
For a change it wasn't raining... and that's been a rare occurrence lately *winks* So off the hubster and I went (umbrella at the ready just in case) to see if we could spot a dream house or two... And we did indeed! Do you love to look at houses as much as I do? And envision how you might change and redecorate a place? I absolutely love to! I only wish I could go inside each one to check out the interiors as well *winks* I did manage however to do so with one of them... And I'll be sharing that in Part Two of my walking tour... But come on and follow me and I'll show you Part One of the beauties we found!
I'll start with this grandest of the grand 10,000 sq ft.+ turn of the century classic revival style mansion. Isn't it something? And strangely it's only valued at around 1 mil. Less than many small New York city apartments. I can only imagine the upkeep it must need? Would you be willing to take it on? I think I'll stick with something a good lot smaller *winks* The view certainly is pretty though!

And from the side. It also has a beautiful water view from the back.

Perhaps this smaller Victorian gingerbread house at around 5000 sq ft is more to your liking?

Or how about a smaller yet classic colonial?

Or maybe something in between in sunny yellow? One of the things I love most about this neighborhood is it's diversity of architectural styles.

I really love the ribbon detailing on this pretty red house.

Or how about this Victorian Gothic (?) style mansion?
By the way I was wondering how large a house needed to be to be considered a mansion? And I found there isn't actually any set size, but the Realtors association consider homes of 8000 sq ft or larger to be "mansions" This one is much larger than it looks from the picture as it goes back quite a bit.

Perhaps a 1920's Tudor house is more to your liking ? Isn't this one a cutie?

Or how about this large dutch colonial style?

Maybe this turn of the century four square house in pink is more your thing? I'm sure lovin' that pink! And the cute ledge for flowers.

Maybe you'd like to go REALLY large in a gorgeous Spanish style 1920's 11,000+ sq ft home currently a short sale for 900k. Hence the less than stellar landscaping. It really doesn't look that large does it? Again looks can be deceiving *winks*(It had been purchased a few years back for 1.6 mil so it's almost half price... yay!!?

Here's the "little" guest house that goes with the Spanish style house. I would love to have a separate space like this for my guests, wouldn't you? Or do you have one already? If so I'm green with envy! *winks*

This smaller Spanish colonial revival style house (4800+ sq ft) was almost my house, but it needed quite a bit of work done and we didn't feel we were capable of doing it at the time, so we opted for a newer house. How I wish we could go back and do it over! It had so many beautiful period features... including said guest house *sighs*

I thought it was really interesting that this Victorian mansion had windows in the chimney. I can't say I've ever noticed that before. Isn't it odd? But yet interesting!

From the front. You can barely see but at the top of the turret roof is a fleur-de-lis lightening rod. Loved that touch!

And from the side a white picket fence.

Well that's all for Part One of my tour. Did any of these houses speak to you? Or were none of them quite right? I have my favorite to share coming in Part Two ( I hope you won't be completely underwhelmed *winks*) Along with the house tour I promised. I hope you'll come back to join me for that, and please leave me a comment! I LOVE to hear from you! Vanna

art, bread, favorite, Inspiration, and more:

Relevant to: A Walk Around The Hood 2012 Part One + LOVE