My Blog = My Life + pie

My French Country Family Room

I thought I'd take a little break this week from the flea market finds to share another room in my house, my family room (On a tight budget *winks*) And I'm hoping that you my ever so wonderful friends will help me make a decision about something...
But first follow me this way and I'll show you around *winks* This room is loaded almost entirely with bargain, thrift and craigslist finds. The armoire in the corner holds the TV and was a $250 score on craigslist (And the seller even delivered it!) It was being used in a garage to hold fishing tackle! I think it's much better off at my house don't you? *winks*

This gold french wing chair was $125 at a local antique mall.

I love this little victorian fairy frame with a painting of a vase of flowers.

And this coffee table was a $135 also at a local antique store. Do you see the art nouveau planter of the lady with her daughter?

It's one of my favorite things... Yes I do say that a lot! *winks* Aren't they lovely together?!

Moving clockwise we come to the gas fireplace that my hubby added for me. I'm getting lots and lots of use from it this year!

Here's a close up on one of the lithographs that surround the fireplace.They represent the 12 months of the year and were a whopping $10 for the lot. This one is September.

A favorite slag glass lamp with one of my beloved spelter figures. The leather wing chair was $75 at the Goodwill.

The sofa was a $300 find at a local consignment store. I love that it has a curved back and it's really comfy!.

This 1840's flame mahogany secretary is another one of my favorite things. Found at an auction for a song.

And another favorite (yes again) *winks* this wooden carved portrait. There's a silly story to go with this one. One day My sister and I were discussing which piece of art in each of our homes was our favorite? I told her this carved portrait of a young girl was probably mine. And she replied "Oh honey I hate to break this to you but... that's a boy! He has an adams apple" And danged if she wasn't right! (OK so I'm not the most observant person on the planet lol!... But WHATEVER!! I still love it!... Miss know it all!

This is the view from the back side of the sofa featuring another of my beloved spelter statues. This one is titled " Fleurs de Printemps" (Flowers of Spring) and a bouillotte style lamp from the local Goodwill ($7.99 sans shade) My hubby said "the last thing you need is another lamp!" Silly man! As if I could ever get too many charming lamps! *winks* And While I really do appreciate my DH's opinion I've found that if I love it? Or even like something strongly?... Well better safe than sorry right?! I'm really glad I took it home. *winks*

On the other side of the sofa is this french Louis Philippe armoire that I use to store lots of little favorite bits. Usually gifts from friends and family.

Lots of stories in this armoire.

This lovely spelter bust is L'Automne"

And this handsome spelter gent is "Virgile"

I've been trying for years to figure out what this bronze box was used for? Cigars? Mens pretties? *winks* It has a hunting theme. Maybe you could help me? If any of you have any idea would you please share it with me? I'm always amazed by all the collective wisdom out there in the land of blog!

On the opposite side of the room is my hubbys billard table (He HAD to have it!) And two of my 4 furbabies. Shelby (large) and Jewel (pom)

I like these silk striped drapes for their pop of color but they're going away because they just aren't "lush" enough. So stay tuned for some new draperies... I got 8 of them for $40! The chairs are 19th century french.

In the far corner sits a working telephone booth that I gave to my hubby for our anniversary.

A little settee and an eastlake victorian table are on this side. The throw is antique paisley.

And on the opposite side sits this behemoth of a bookcase. A turn of the century find from craigslist. It's really too large for the room and we scraped the ceiling just trying to get it in, but it was LOVE at first sight! And it's another one of my absolute favorites! *winks* Hopefully in my next house (when I win the lottery lol!) I'll have enough room for it.

Looking back across the room.

I hope you enjoyed this not so little tour of my family room? *winks*
And what I really want to ask you my oh so intelligent and design savy friends is: What color hardwood should I use on the floors? It's time for the carpet to go after wayyy too many years of this ugly. And I'm absolutely stuck in indecision! I'd like to go with the dark hand scraped hardwood floors but my hubby made the point that it's dark here in the Pacific Northwest most of the year, and do we really want it to be darker? My answer was a quick "you bettcha!" But now in retrospect he might have a good point? So what do you think I should do? I'm counting on your expertise so I hope you'll leave me a comment and I'll do the same. You've seen all the different woods in this room so please help! I LOVE to hear from you!
And please join me next week for more Flea Market Finds. I think I've found a few good things to share with ya *winks* Vanna
I'm joining Sherry at No Minimalist Here for:

Courtney at French Country Cottage for:

And Cindy at My Romantic Home for:

apple, art, book, favorite, Inspiration, LOVE, and more:

Relevant to: My French Country Family Room + pie