My Blog = My Life + tips

Refrigerator Cleaning Tips

I'm about to show you the grossest thing you've ever seen. (Aunt Connie, if you're reading this, look away or you'll fall out of your chair. Mom, you too.) This is what my fridge looked like yesterday morning:

Okay, now that you've picked up your jaw from off the floor, allow me to explain.
That spilled milk? It leaked out of Judah's bottle during the night. The rest? I'm afraid I have no excuse. My fridge has been in desperate need of a cleaning for a while - it's just not on my list of favorite things to do, I guess. The spilled milk was the last straw before I got a scrub-a-dub-dubbing. And now?

Dun-dun-da-dun. Let's just say the results from a little bit of elbow grease are so, so worth it!
If you're fridge looks like mine did, here's a few tricks to make the dreaded job easier:

  • Take out all the food. If you're worried about spoiling, store the perishables in a cooler while you clean.
  • Remove all the drawers and any shelves that can fit into your sink.

  • Fill your sink with steaming hot water, vinegar, baking soda, and a bit of dish soap. Using a dish brush, scrub away the grime from the drawers and smaller shelves.

  • Once the drawers have been dried, pass them off to your two-year-old and watch her imagination soar! Apparently they make fantastic beds for stuffed bears and dogs. Not to mention they're great for keeping a wee one occupied while you finish cleaning.

  • Sprinkle some baking soda on the larger shelves. Add a splash of vinegar and real lemon juice before putting all your might into scrubbing away the residue with a dish brush. Don't forget the sides of the refrigerator too.
  • Use paper towel or a microfiber cloth to wipe away the wet mess and leave a streak-free shine.

I couldn't help myself. I just had to show you this picture one more time. Isn't it a thing of beauty?! Now the challenge is to see how long it will stay this way.
How long has it been since you cleaned your refrigerator? Does your mess beat mine or am I Queen of the Filthy Fridge?

favorite, FOOD, HOME, homemaking, juice, milk, pie, and more:

Relevant to: Refrigerator Cleaning Tips + tips