My Blog = My Life + spiritual encouragement

It Took a Vasectomy...

My husband and I, both unbelievers at the time, decided to end our fertility after having two children. Our reasons…we had one of each (a boy and a girl), my health had not been good during our pregnancies, our marriage wasn’t the greatest, and honestly, the whole “stay at home mom” thing wasn’t all that fun!

Fast-forward one year after the vasectomy...

The Lord had opened our eyes to Him. We were heavily convicted to reverse what we had done. It was not an easy process but by many miracles the Lord worked through the hands of a doctor to fix what we had decided to break.

“I praise you Lord for I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:14).
Being fixed didn’t necessarily mean more children. Fixed meant that our marriage union had been restored to the way God had designed it. To be able to give yourself completely to one another defines the “oneness” that God speaks of in Genesis. “The two shall become one.” (Genesis 2: 24b)

God in His timing did decide to open my womb. Nine months after the reversal we found out that we were expecting. This third pregnancy (and first reversal miracle) brought such joy to my heart. Along with the joy also came major health issues. This was one of the many reasons we had the vasectomy to begin with. However, I looked upon the complications so differently this time around because God had really opened my eyes to His purposes for my life. I was created by Him and for Him AND for His glory. He made the reversal happen, and He chose to create new life within me. I honestly was not bothered by my severe high blood pressure. I knew that God was taking good and perfect care of me.

Needless to say the gift of faith in Him that He had given me carried me through that very difficult pregnancy. When we made it to delivery, my blood pressure had rocketed to new levels - 220/130. The hospital stay was one to remember as they tried to pad the bed and strap me down anticipating that I would start having seizures.

Luke Isaac was born by cesarean section (just as the first two had been). He was healthy and absolutely beautiful! Luke, one of the gospel writers in the New Testament, was a physician. Since the Lord worked through a physician to heal my husband, we decided to name our baby boy, Luke. Isaac means laughter. If you had told us when we had gotten married that we would have had more than two children, we both would have laughed!

Shortly after Luke was born, we were warned heavily against having more children. My husband and I had already been down that road and decided we were not taking charge of our fertility ever again. With that being said, we were told that we should find out what was going on. What was causing these very high sporadic blood pressures that would typically begin around week twenty in all three of my pregnancies? Our OB referred us to another Dr. for some lab work. Our OB had indicated to us that twenty years prior she had delivered a baby, and the mother had very similar issues during pregnancy. This particular patient though went into a coma right after delivery and died three months later. My OB discovered that her patient had a very rare tumor known as a Pheochromocytoma. I of course thought my OB was crazy to even suggest I had a tumor that acted up only when pregnant. But since we were going to remain open to children, it was worth us checking into.

Wouldn’t you know it! After some testing, we soon found out that I did indeed have this rare and life threatening tumor. Three months after Luke had been born, I had surgery to remove the 5cm tumor that was encapsulated in my right adrenal gland. The reason my blood pressure started rising around the twenty-week point was because the baby then had enough weight to apply pressure to this adrenaline releasing tumor!

Indeed the Lord saved my life through childbirth!!! “Yet she will be saved through childbearing.” (1 Timothy 2:15) If we had not had the reversal and our third baby, we would never have discovered that I had this life threatening tumor.

Three months after the tumor was removed we found out that we had been blessed again with baby number four and a complication free pregnancy! After baby number four-came number five and after number five-came number six! Number six is scheduled to make His appearance the first week in August.

Ellie (2nd born) and Marah Joy (4th born)

Connor (1st born) and Luke (3rd born)

Lucy (5th born)
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Malachi Jacob (6th being knit in my womb)
His name comes from Malachi 2:15…Hasn’t He made the two of you one? Both of you belong to him in body and spirit. And why has he made you one? Because he was looking for godly children.

Has it been an easy road? No. Are my pregnancies a walk in the park? No. Do I get scared sometimes and question? Of course I do! But the facts remain…God’s Word is true and never changes. He restored my marriage by literally pulling us both from the slimy pit. He made us whole (as He created us to be). He opened our eyes to His blessing of children. May He continue to give me the faith to offer my life as a living sacrifice to Him and His Kingdom!

*Note: The Dr. we used for our vasectomy reversal was Dr. Leverett. He does reversals as a ministry and at low costs. You can find more information as his website: http://reversals.com/
______________________________________________________

Angela is the wife of her best friend Ken for 11 years and the mother to six children, four of which are post-reversal blessings! She enjoys being a homemaker and delights in finding new things to craft, bake, or sew. Occasionally, you can find her posting at Angela's Sewing For Sanity.

art, biblical womanhood, family life, health, holy living, HOME, life, and more:

Relevant to: It Took a Vasectomy... + spiritual encouragement